5.06.2009

Etude 5 - Visual library research results

Task: Totally open-ended library research, presented in visual format.

Process:
I became inexplicably excited about a stack of old, yellowed library catalog cards, like a huge nerd. Then I cut them up into little pieces, cast them like tea leaves or tarot cards, and transcribed some results. The stack of cards I grabbed all referenced books related to ethics and philosophy, which was cool. I even brought these fragments to two poetry readings and gave a little awkward demonstration, which might have been going a bit too far, but I thought the process was more interesting than the results, and the demo may have made my explanation less confusing.




*Note: These are not properly formatted here; I have to figure out how to post them as an image later.

1. Society
problems of ethics
and alive.
a book of graphical rences.
a dialogue. bookshop random title.

2. ethics in Re- press.
Pro edit age of conduct series:

3. Brown by label on t.p.
Washington Public
Requested by 1963.

4. the meaning
of readings
ethics in re-
label on
dies,

5. the language of duct
the meaning of goo
economic
oral
a, Ab, B

6. Reviewed in
conduct
society,
ess
ing
B 07

7. dead and alive
1905--
the rebel.
Includes
Series and
Ethics
sl

8. we live by
ethics in re-
society
Received [and] and
Morality
Studies

----
Here's a list of the word fragments on my card fragments; I've italicized my favorites.

the inner
Problems of Ethics
a book of readings
edited by
Ethics
Title
The Rebel
ordered
received
Edition
Approved by
Requested by
The meaning of good
a dialogue
morality and the language of conduct
list price
Series:
dies
label on
New University
Press
Studies
dead and alive
principles
introductory essay
life: a study
ethics in re-

---

So, I'll try making more, but this time I'm working from the above list, not the card fragments.

1. Press principles
label on introductory
Requested by a dialogue
edited by the inner list price
ordered life: a study
ethics in re-

Never mind, I like the random results a lot better.

No comments: